Random Thoughts Indeed

1. Blue is beautiful... 
while driving home, my local radio decided to play alternative music....
This came up...."Last Tango on the 16th Street" in A Fool To Care by Boz Scaggs. Not only did I listen to the entire song, I made pre-order on Amazon.
This album comes out on 3/30/2015

Back in college, my music preference solely stays in classical, top-40, Asian 90s, Linkin Park, Fall Out Boy, and some anime music. However, the past couple years, my collection of random music has wildly increased... I bought "I'm An Albatraoz" last month even though normally EDM music isn't my taste.

(They said blue/jazz grew on you as you age, is this what's happening? Have I aged enough to appreciate this music genre???)

2. Financing/Investment is not sexy. Buying stuff is so much more attractive and luring.
John Oliver's Last Week Tonight used the "infrastructure is not sexy" phrase. It was such a catchy phrase. Today when I was re-financing myself...aka looking at my tax return and deciding what to do with it, I thought of the sexiness talk. I found it so much more appealing to spend/shop on something good, almost a self-reward sensation than save it up in a bank.
Is it why I spent endless hours browsing furniture and shoes? Look up nice restaurants? New pretty things are just attractive and "buying" is such a good feeling. A friend described opening shipment package as unwrapping gift send to self.... Is this a societal problem?
Must. Resist. Pointless Consumerism. >_<



3. Unicorn, Hero, Angel
It is not hate, just doubts. I saw on a career page, the company describes its culture and that it is looking for certain candidates. The choices of words shocks me...

Who we're looking for:
  • Unicorns: rare, amazing individuals that are believed not to exist in this world.
  • Cross-functional and multi-talented. If you're an engineer, you should have multiple core competencies beyond coding (ie: photographer, great writer, and have mad chopping skills).
  • ...blah blah...blah.blah.blah
Unicorn, hero and angels are used in separate tech companies to describe their employees. In the back of my head, I thought of a trivia team and their silly team name in a bar. It also reminded me those celebrities and their fan's nicknames. Does naming your community help to create a social bond, a sense of belonging?.....It's cute, I like the spirits..... Except I'll still not consider one as a Hero, an Angel, nor an Unicorn unless he either has a halo or a pointy horn sticking out of his head, and he can prevent humanity from destroying the nature.

I am a big believer in working for the right value and the pride to work for the greater good. It's nice to believe that work shouldn't just be monetary incitement to pay for the meal and rent. However, work is, still, at the end of a day, just work, regardless how much one would love the job. Nothing unicornally magical...
Well done on the choice of words, companies. Beside avoiding calling your temp and contractors as they are, and therefore, possibly avoiding certain legal issues(?). I'd name anyone who viewed this blog...hmmm... oh forget about it.
a blog reader is a blog reader, but at least you still read. cheers.

Comments