Fresh interest in vain between heaven and earth, is a beetle ear

So the title: Fresh interest in vain between heaven and earth, is a beetle ear is the google translate for "徒然食息於天地之間,是一蠹耳."
I remember back in high school's creative writing class, my teacher loved showing Chinese or Japanese poems along with sonnet to tell us how beautifully they were written. Honestly, I never was able to understand the beauty of the poem because the translation never really make sense. Haha.

Anyway, I would say if it has to be translated, it means if a person lives in this world (between heaven and earth = this world) vainly, he is as good as a worm (a particular type of worm that feeds on carbohydrates and woods).

I learned this in middle school in Taiwan. We seem to have a lot of old texts that tell people to work hard and to live with a goal in life but do not get too comfortable of life. It really is harsh life they set up for us but perhaps a person come to this world to learn and to contribute; it is what set us apart of being pure animals because of the wisdom and the ability to find a goal other than survive, eat, sleep and procreate.

I guess I'm a worm because I am simply living this moment but I don't really know what it is in life for me. That really sucks, at least I don't eat a lot.

Comments