Cheese Garlic Bread Potato Chips

So I had it at work today, and apparently this had happened awhile back... How did I not see the news or heard about it? I'm so behind on new flavors and new products! :(
Anyway, this is from PepsiCo's Frito-Lay "Do Us a Flavor" contest. Apparently it is first time in U.S.A but has done in other part of the worlds. In the website, it stated there was Cajun Squirrel...I want to know how the flavor chemist came to make that flavor. LOL

So, long story short, normal consumers submit their idea on the flavors for potato chips. I think top three got chosen and Lay's made them, put them onto market so people can try it and vote on it. The top three were Sriracha, Chicken&Waffles and Cheesy Garlic Bread..
Sadly I didn't notice this until today so... obviously I didn't try the other two flavors. :(
The winner lady took home 1 million dollar and also has her recipe potato chip on the market now. Cool except I didn't like the flavor really. It was too creamy and greasy taste for me oddly, and the left-over garlic doesn't provide any kick.. but that's personal preference. I usually love cheese, and I love Dorito Nacho Cheese (who's doesn't? so much better than Cool Ranch)
I also prefer Lay's Tomato and Basil flavor but that's probably because I grew up eating lots of tomato flavor chips (no kidding, Asian love tomato flavor chips).

More info about the contest.

I think it's great marketing strategy, increase interaction between consumers and company while save some money on research development(?)...I kid. I am sure their Research Chief still got his secret recipe ready to go. Great success in America thanks to today's social media makes it easy to spread information and consumers love these type of contests. I wonder if Asia going to change their marketing strategy and put more focus on consumer sensory slowly because what it used to be when I was little kid, the market was that as long as the company puts "Limited" or "New" on the box and it's new flavor, the consumers in Asia will buy it. Question that? Kitkat from Nestle has some crazy unimaginable flavor like Soy sauce, Curry, Grape, or Green tea flavor only found in Japan.

The US Contest top 3 winners (Image from Snacktaku)


Here is just a fraction of possible Kitkat that unless you in Japan, good luck finding them. (Image from HungryCuriousCat)

Lastly, let us sing along the potato song!

Comments